Thursday, March 12, 2009

Is Watchmen the new Fight Club?





Hey readers!
Sorry again for the absence.  I think I realized when it comes to this blog, it's certainly not going to be perfect.  However, I'm still intending to use it as a forum for anything that strikes my interest to write about.  The Oscar blogging kinda fell through (but then again, this year was a big "Who Cares?"  even after the awards), but I'll still be showing up periodically as I find interesting topics to write about.

Right now, WATCHMEN, one of the most anticipated and hyped movies of the year is playing in theaters across the country.  Since it's release last weekend, the reaction has been truly interesting.  Some love it, some hate it, but I feel that most people who have seen it (those familiar and unfamiliar with the graphic novel) seem to regard it with a strong sense of ambivalence.  I fall into this category as well.  I, for one, have read the graphic novel a couple of times, and do regard it as a groundbreaking and brilliant piece of literature.  Seeing the adaptation after a couple of years of excitement, I have to say my opinion was that it was in the "good" range.  I can't say I disliked it, but also can't say I loved it.  However, after much reflection on the film, I've come to the conclusion that this is a movie that will take a couple of viewings to make a truly fair judgement on the film.  The graphic novel is a dense deconstruction of comic book superheroes that takes a couple of readings to understand and appreciate its denseness and complexity.  The reason I think the film requires a few viewings, especially if you are a fan of the source material, is because I think at first viewing it's hard to fairly judge the film as an adaptation of the book, especially after so much buildup of hype and anticipation .  Its hard, on first viewing, not to ask: What did they leave in, what did they leave out, how does this particular scene look as a moving picture rather than a 2 dimensional drawing?  I think the interesting thing to try and understand about WATCHMEN (which many people are overlooking) is how it holds up as a FILM, rather than an adaptation.  I'm sure over time, there's a point where I'll have seen the movie more times than I've read the book, and I think that will be the time to really judge how successful the film is and how well it holds up.

Now, a few days ago a thought came to mind during a discussion with a friend, and brings me to the central question of this post: Is WATCHMEN the new FIGHT CLUB?  I thought about this for a while, and think there is definitely an argument to be made that it is.  First of all, both were highly hyped before their release as being high profile, highly anticipated projects (WATCHMEN having the graphic novel as its basis, with Zack Snyder directing a stylized superhero movie, FIGHT CLUB having the pedigree of Brad Pitt, Ed Norton and David Fincher directing a stylized action movie).  Upon their release, each were met with mixed reviews that criticized the mis-execution of their ambitious philisophical ideas and glorification of violence, among other criticisms.  Both underperformed and didn't meet box office expectations (WATCHMEN had a good first weekend, but not nearly as big as predicted by everyone, and I assure you it will drop heavily in subsequent weekends).  Both left audiences divided, ambivalent, and confused.  FIGHT CLUB, regarded as a failure after its theatrical release, found extraordinary new life on video.  This is where I discovered it, along with many others.  Even on first viewing, I found the movie "interesting," but on second viewing, I found it to be a completely different and incredible experience.  Over time, FIGHT CLUB became a cult classic, a movie people discovered, and after multiple viewings on video and DVD (FIGHT CLUB singlehandedly helped boom the still young DVD business) people were becoming passionate about the movie.  Now, FIGHT CLUB is regarded as a true 90s classic.  A movie that would most certainly never be made today (which always makes it a move to be appreciated as a classic), but a movie that both defines its time and transcends it.
It is yet to be seen weather or not WATCHMEN will follow the same path as FIGHT CLUB, but many indications show that it could become that type of movie with that kind of following.  While it probably won't be the massive theatrical success that many people predicted, I think this is a movie that will be appreciated over time.  First of all, on DVD more people will "discover" the film (As a first time viewer unfamiliar with the graphic novel, it's probably best to see it removed from all of the hype anyway).  It will also give fans of the novel the chance to appreciate the movie on its own, rather than scrutinizing the adaptation.  Like FIGHT CLUB, I believe WATCHMEN will expand it's devotees, whose love for the film will grow as time goes on.  Finally, I think WATCHMEN will thrive past its time when we get to see the expanded versions of the film.  Zack Snyder has already let people know that there is a longer extended cut, as well as the stand alone TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER and UNDER THE MASK, both of which are integrated within the graphic novel, but left out for understandable theatrical time constraints.  When we get to see Snyder's fully fleshed out version of the movie, with the two stand alone features integrated, I would think that it would only expand fans appreciation for the film.

So will WATCHMEN, like FIGHT CLUB 10 years ago, go from hotly anticipated also-ran blockbuster to cult classic after its theatrical release?  Time will tell.  So far the similarities of the two films are striking (not in content, of course), and it will be interesting to see WATCHMEN's "second life" after its theatrical run.  Right now, it's just great that people are talking about the movie: discussing it, dissecting it, arguing about it in every respect.  That doesn't happen with many movies, and its great to see.  Much like a classic music album that's re-discovered and truly appreciated after years of its release, it's always an amazing phenomenon when a movie truly gains its deserved appreciation.  Weather WATCHMEN will be one of these phenomena has yet to be seen, but it sure would be fun if it did.

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mills,

First of all let me get this off my chest, no squid!. Secondly, I decided to re-read (probably like millions [ok, thousands] of others)the book after seeing the movie last weekend. And I gotta say, it was a great movie. If there was no source material, it'd be a fanboys dream. But then without fanboys, no movie. Catch 22 type stuff. I think it can stand alone, and I will be buying it on DVD (blu ray is still way too expensive for this teacher) and will have the chance to watch it many times from then on. I think it'll be great to see what hidden gems they left in, the "missing" posters, all the sly references to the clock face in the backgrounds. Hopefully it has a life on dvd so that WB and therefore DC keeps making smart(er) movies from their properties.

Papile