Tuesday, July 8, 2008

2008 Mid-Year Review (Part 1)

So for my first substantial post, I figured the timing was appropriate for a Year (so far) in review.  The early part of the year felt a bit weak to me in terms of quality releases, and also just sheer volume of anything worth getting excited about.  However, I feel like the summer season has been proving itself noteworthy so far.  This year has already seen its fair share of potential classics, sleepers, disappointments and complete failures, so what follows are a few movies for each of those categories.  Part 1 is my Favorites of the year so far and Sleepers, Part 2 will be the Disappointments and Worst of the year, as well as my most anticipated movies for the 2nd half of 2008.  

Favorites
IRON MAN: This one really kicked off the summer season with a satisfying bang.  Like BATMAN BEGINS, it was a well-crafted movie that placed the story and characters first, and it made for a more rewarding film.  I also think, like BATMAN BEGINS and SPIDERMAN 1, this one is just a set up for what could be a really amazing sequel.

WALL-E: I think WALL-E is gonna be one of those movies that gets better and more appreciated over time, more so than some of the previous Pixar films.  Besides TOY STORY, WALL-E is probably my favorite Pixar film so far.  It just got everything right and is exhilarating, emotional and most of all a lot of fun.

FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL: Definitely the comedy to beat this year.  Smart writing, great cast, and a story that anyone can relate to.  It also has amazing comedic moments that are pretty memorable.  Along with SUPERBAD and 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN, it's one of the best Apatow-produced comedies. 

SLEEPERS (movies that took me by surprise)
KUNG-FU PANDA: I have to say, I was VERY surprised by this one.  If you're a fan of SHREK, or any of those animated comedies that has a lot of humor that appeals to adults, than you'll love KUNG FU PANDA.  The animation was pretty amazing during some scenes, and there were times I laughed aloud while watching.  Smart humor, great animation, a simple story well told.

WANTED: WANTED isn't an amazing film, or a groundbreaking one, but it's just a lot of fun.  I'm a big big fan of the director, Timur Bekmambetov, and there were a lot of elements that were similar to his past films.  The story is really rediculous, but the action is totally kick ass.  I wish there were more R-rated action movies like this being made.

CLOVERFIELD: Although this one had a lot of hype upon its release, I'm putting it as one of my surprises because I really admired the filmmakers for having the balls to put out a movie like this.  It was a pretty intense experience watching this in the theater, partly because of the gimick of it being "real" and also because of the smart advertising campaign that didn't give any of the best secrets away. 

So there's Part 1 of the 2008 review.  Let me know what you think about movies you've seen that you've loved, which ones took you by surprise, etc.  See ya for Part 2!

No comments: