Monday, January 26, 2009

Gold-ology 1-26-09

Sorry this post is a bit late, folks.  I'm actually glad I've had a few days to gather some thoughts about this years crop of Academy Award nominees.  You can find the complete list of nominees here.  First thoughts were both a mix of shock, apathy and disappointment.  Now, I'm not one of those that are completely shocked and outraged at the fact THE DARK KNIGHT didn't get a nomination for best picture.  Did I think it deserved one? Absolutely.  Did I think it was going to be a complete travesty if it didn't get a nomination? Not at all.  It's rare that the academy gets the Best Picture category right.  In fact, it's almost impossible.  Besides the obvious objectivity of choosing the "best" 5 movies of the year, what people are usually unaware of are the other factors that go into deciding the final five.  Factors like a film's release timing, the Oscar campaign a studio puts behind a film, the demographic makeup of the Academy voting body, and the voting process itself.  Much like the difficult process of getting a movie made, getting a best picture nomination also requires a similarly difficult "perfect storm" to come together to give a film a chance to compete.
As of today, I am ashamed to admit, I have not yet seen THE READER.  Honestly, that's how big of a surprise it was.  I actually had no intention of seeing the film, since I really didn't take it seriously as a contender at all.  I know many had the same feeling.  I think this is very telling, especially of the fact that it's curious that it would get a best picture nomination since it would require a great deal of academy voters to have a) seen the movie and b) loved the movie.  This is what disappoints me about the nominations.  I feel, if anything, the 5 best picture nominations should be loved by people in some regard.  Meaning, they don't have to be loved by ALL, but should at least be respected films that have their devoted lovers.  For example, I don't love SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, however, I understand that a great many people do.  It's a movie I know that fills both of my criteria since a) many people in the industry have seen the movie and b) many of those people are fervent lovers of it.  When it comes to this year's best picture nominees, I could see that all fit this criteria excluding THE READER.  I just haven't spoken to many people who have seen or love the film.  The most depressing aspect of this is that its nomination could be just from sheer determination and luck from The Weinstein Co.  Maybe they were just THAT aggressive in getting to voters.  If that seems to be the case, it's unfortunate, because I think there are some really special films that deserved to have been considered over THE READER.
In regards to THE DARK KNIGHT not getting a nomination, I'm not sure really what to make of it.  I did think that the indicators (DGA, PGA, WGA noms) were really a sure sign of its nomination.  Its exclusion is certainly curious.  Again, while I think there are many films that are worthy of being in that 5th slot, I think the exclusion of THE DARK KNIGHT is more disappointing because I think the popularity of a film should never be a detractor.  While this has never stopped any film before (there are numerous times over the years when the biggest blockbuster of the year has WON the Oscar for Best Picture), I think its often important for the Academy to acknowledge these movies as ones that struck a chord with the general public, as well as the critics and award givers.  THE DARK KNIGHT transcended comic books movies, but was also masterfully crafted and well told.  While it's disappointing it won't be up for the big prize, my only hope is that it got its fair consideration from the voters.

As for the other nominations, not too many big surprises/snubs/disappointments.  I wasn't surprised at the Kate Winslet/Best Actress nomination.  I just didn't buy the fact that voters would consider that role a supporting one.  However, I do feel that her inclusion in that category, combined with her momentum going into Oscar month, will push her over the edge for a victory in that category.
It also appears to be even more of a lock that SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE will clean up at the awards.  I think a combination of the love of the movie from many people, as well as the momentum that will sweep up the rest of the voters, and it's hard to see that there could be any kind of upset.  I know there is the argument of BENJAMIN BUTTON making a push to upset since it has the most noms, but I think that is more of a case of a movie being admired (technically, especially) rather than loved.  All in all, should make for a very anti-climactic awards night.
On a personal note, I'm extremely disappointed that Bruce Springsteen was left out of the Best Song category.  I say this personally, since being a big Bruce Springsteen fan, and thinking that "The Wrester" was not only a perfect match of song to film, but also a truly amazing song on its own.  It's a real disappointment that we won't get to see him perform it at the Oscars, or see him collect another one (which would have happened had he been nominated).  Let the write-in campaign begin!

So, off we go for the next few weeks, deciphering who the winners will be, rewarding the best of 2008.  If the awards are as disappointing as the nominees, we'll be in for a long evening come February.

As always, comments are welcome and encouraged!

No comments: